Saturday, March 6, 2010

Saturday

Yesterday started off well but ended as a bit of a dietary disaster! Remember that ice cream that I was resisting (in my freezer)? Resistance crumbled! At least I steered clear of the Cadbury Creme Eggs!

At the risk of sounding a bit bragadocious I was so proud of myself today! I think it was the first grocery trip in probably a decade or 2, maybe 3, that didn't include any soda! I still drink a Coke Zero once in a while at work but we haven't had any in the house in quite a while! My budget and my health both thank me!

My budget isn't quite as thrilled with the $120 worth of ribeye steaks and beef roasts that found their way into my cart! Reasors was having a Primal Meat sale. Ate one of the steaks for dinner and it was awesome! The roasts and all but 2 of the remaining steaks were packaged (shrink wrap, styrofoam tray, and all) into freezer bags and deposited for safe keeping (and future eating) in my big freezer. I love a well stocked freezer! We thought about going to Sam's today too but I was worn out from Reasors, and as I told Bert, neither my knee nor my checkbook was up to Sam's right then!

I really debated back and forth whether or not I wanted to go grocery shopping today. (Believe it or not it might have been cheaper if I had stayed home. Bert isn't as easily swayed off track by a pretty cut of beef as I am!) My knee was feeling pretty good but I had tons of laundry to do and was afraid that the trek around the grocery store was going to wind up hurting. I had made out a grocery list so I could have sent Bert off to tackle the chore by himself but we have mostly made it a joint Saturday task since my return to full time employment. I finally decided to just bite the bullet and go. My knee was tired by the time we were done but not as much as I had feared. I had forgotten the reality of my condition pre-knee-injury. Arthritis is a bummer and lengthy walks, or any time on my feet for that matter, renders both knees and my lower back intensely painful. I truly need to get myself back into the YMCA Water Aerobics class and get working on physical and stamina improvement!

I probably wouldn't have stripped my bed this morning if I had known how badly my back and knees would hurt by the time I got the sheets washed and dried. But it desperately needed to be done and I managed the task of re-making it (the only thing I don't like about my water bed) and climbing into freshly washed flannel sheets at the end of the day will be totally worth it!

I restocked on my Golden Delicious Apples and Bartlett Pears today too. Having trouble finding ripe pears and although I LOVE ripe ones I cannot tolerate green ones! I decided to leave them in a basket on the counter rather than storing them in the fruit drawer in the fridge. Hopefully that will result in riper pears.

My least favorite part of the whole grocery shopping experience (well paying for it is probably the LEAST favorite) is getting home exhausted, dragging all the bags into the house, putting everything away and discovering 5 or 6 items we really needed that I FORGOT! I've already started a new grocery list as well as my Sam's list and Akins (Health Food store) list. Oh well ...

Guess I better get this laptop and cushion off my lap, un-recline (is there a word for that?) my chair and go switch the white load from the washer to the dryer and put a colored load in. One of those chores that is never done no matter how much time I spend doing it!

2 Comments:

At March 7, 2010 at 4:27 AM , Blogger Amy said...

Ice cream is one thing that I just can't buy because I will eat it. But just get right back on the horse today. You can do it.

As for grocery shopping, I never let my husband do it if I can help it. It takes him twice as long as it takes me and he always buys the wrong stuff -- the wrong brand, fattening food, or weird stuff. So I can't complain much about grocery shopping because I don't want his help.

Now, he could do some laundry while I'm at the store :)

 
At March 9, 2010 at 3:16 PM , Blogger Prairiemaid said...

Beth, reading through your posts, I am reminded how much alike we gals are....like trimming the cake to make the edges even. My, oh my, how many times have I done that?!

Since you are in Tulsa....go to the whole food store and get some Tea Tree Therapy Toothpicks in Cinnamon flavor. Do you remember going around with a cinnamon toothpick when you were younger?!! Cinnamon will help rid the body of sugar cravings. You can also buy cinnamon capsules, but I like the flavored toothpicks. I guess it gives my mouth something to do. LOL

 

Post a Comment

Okay ... I said my piece ... now it's your turn! C'mon! Tell me what's on your mind. I really want to know! Thanks! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home